I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a lazy cook. As I always say:
“Lazy or efficient? It’s all in the eye of the beholder.”
~ So Says Sunny
This Arroz con Pollo recipe is an easy way to create one of our family favorites.
Lazy Arroz con Pollo
(Spanish Chicken and Rice)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tbs. Vegetable Oil (I use virgin olive oil)
- 1 pkg. Knorr Spanish Rice Fiesta Sides
- 1-1½ cups Tyson Grilled & Ready Diced Chicken Breast
- 1 small can of Tomato Sauce (optional, to make a saucier dish)
- Side salad or vegetables
Makes 3-4 servings in 10-15 minutes.
Knorr Spanish Rice is by no means a spicy dish but for spice-wimps like me (I don’t even use black pepper), just toss out a little of the powder from the pouch.
I keep Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Breast on hand in the freezer. The “Family Size” bags have a zip-lock so I just throw in a couple hands-full. It’s sold in both the freezer and fridge sections.
Knorr and Tyson occasionally offer coupons online (check Coupons.com and the brand websites).
NOTE: I get no commission for my brand recommendations.
I’m just passing along useful info.
- Pour water and vegetable oil into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir the rice pouch into the boiling water (throwing away a little of the powder if you’re a spice-wimp like me).
- After about 5 minutes, add tomato sauce, if desired. The sauce will add to cooking time for the liquid to absorb (or consider using less water).
- Reduce heat, cover (if not using tomato sauce), and simmer, stirring periodically.
- Add chicken (refrigerated or thawed in microwave for 1-2 min.) a couple of minutes before rice/sauce is done.
- Continue cooking until rice is soft and sauce is desired thickness. Package says 7 min. total but it’s closer to 10 min. with the small can of tomato sauce.
- Remove from heat and let stand at least 2 minutes.
- While waiting, prepare side salad and/or microwave a side vegetable.
- Stir and serve.
SERVE & EAT:
I recommend serving Arroz con Pollo with a green vegetable such as green beans or a garden salad (cool and crunchy to contrast the warm and soft dish).
Also consider serving with Apple Juice Refresher for a cool balance.
Arroz con Pollo is moist so leftovers freeze, refrigerate, and microwave well.